My husband got me a slow cooker for Christmas. I’m so happy! I love being able to do a little bit of prep work when I can, toss everything into the pot and forget about it for hours. The best part is after awhile the house smells super great and dinner is 90% made. Since I had some pork in the freezer and the rest of the ingredients in my pantry, I decided to break in my slow cooker making one of my my husbands favorite taco/burrito fillings. It’s so good that after we’ve finished eating we’re always left wanting more.
The recipe is based off of one I saw made on Mexico One Plate At a Time (episode Tacos Hola!) a handful of months ago.
Chipotle Pork and Potato Filling for burritos or tacos
Serves 2-3 taco addicts that can’t say no to just 2 tacos, 4-6 regular folks
1.5 lb pork cubes, I like pork shoulder cubes or pork stew meat
3 white skinned potatoes, scrubbed and diced about the same size chunks as pork
1 can diced tomatoes (28 oz), I LOVE the muir glen fire roasted in this but regular is fine and is what I used tonight
1 onion, sliced
2 T Worcestershire sauce
2-3 chipotles packed in adobo sauce, minced – or to taste
1 T adobo canning liquid from the chipotles
salt, to taste
corn or flour tortillas
pinto or black beans
Garnish with any of the following:
avocado or guacamole
lettuce or cabbage
- Pat pork cubes dry and sprinkle with 1/2 t salt.
- Put diced potatoes in bottom of the slow cooker.
- In large pan, heat 1 T canola oil until shimmering. Add pork cubes and brown well. Be careful not to overcrowd the pan. When cubes are brown, add to slow cooker over potatoes.
- Add a little water or juice from the tomatoes to the pot and scrape brown bits up from the pan. Once they’re all up, pour mixture over pork cubes.
- Scatter onion slices over pork cubes.
- Add canned tomatoes, minced chipotles, adobo sauce, Worcestershire sauce and 1 t salt. Stir.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 5-7 hours or until pork cubes fall apart and potatoes are tender.
- Near the end of the cooking time, taste and add salt, if necessary.
- Warm tortillas and assemble burritos or tacos to your liking.